Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Another trip around the sun

It seems that it's everyday now, that I put another piece of the puzzle into place. New memories emerge and connections are being made more often. Now the image of my pink bike with white and purple polka-dot banana seat makes sense. I couldn't sit down on it and had to ride home standing up after being sexually abused  by my neighbor while playing hide-and-seek-in-the-dark in his basement. Now I know why falling and splitting the beam in gymnastics practices hurt me so much more than the other gymnasts. I insisted on an icepack ...and would sit on it in a dark room on the couch icing myself...and would eventually fall asleep. That was my escape every time to fall asleep. My coaches and teammates thought I was such a baby...they would get so irritated with me. I had no idea how to communicate to anyone though...I lived my life believing I was "silly" "sensitive" a "cry-baby"...until I shut down...
Anyway, I've been working really hard in counseling the past few months too. It's amazing how quickly things start moving once I'm in the right place and I allow everything to flow from those dark places. I still resist a lot...and censor at times. There are somethings that I don't think I will ever be able to say out loud. But that's okay for now....I have made a lot of progress. Haha! I said it!

The real reason for this post is....tomorrow is my birthday. I've been working toward my own "Growth" in 2012 as a goal I've set for myself in place of a Resolution. In this upcoming odd-numbered year of my twenties, I think I want to focus on something else as well. I'm not really sure what. I have made so many wishes on my birthday each year. I think I've stopped making them, because...well, hoping for my future didn't seem to be worth it. But now, I'm willing to try again....



This song makes me cry every time I hear it. Not in sadness, though. There is so much hope within the words; so much love. Those are two things that I rarely experience. I think that's what I'll wish for...Hope and love in my life this year, and for all of my years to come.

Happy Birthday to me :)

~SS

3 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed listening to that song and thinking of you as it played. I think you are full of hope and love, and I also wish that you will experience more of these things in your life. I have no doubt that you will. Your heart is strong and as you continue to allow yourself to flow from the dark places, you will encounter more beauty and light.

    Happy birthday : ) you truly deserve the happiness you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I hate this type of singer... but I have to admit, not bad. I love you SS! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. How amazing is it to overcome something so traumatic? I think people can be strong without God testing it with such aggression, but look at you. =) Sometimes God uses others as examples. He shows the rest of us through victims of traumatic events that in our darkest, most tragic times, we have the ability to overcome.

    I hope 2012 is as promising as you've hoped. You're already making leaps. =)

    ReplyDelete