Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Awakening

I was laying in bed thinking, as I usually do, and I had a profound moment. I have been through a lot. I mean I have made it past a great number of experiences. A little over a year ago I was so broke that I applied for food stamps. When I was denied, I had to live on a grocery budget of $25 per month. I sold gold jewelry that my Grandmother gave me to pay my bills. I did my laundry at a friend's apartment...or blend in with the students and break into the laundry rooms at the local university. I refused to go back "home" to ask for money or to use their things. I refused to be guilt tripped and controlled, again, by those who abused me my entire life. I had finally broken free from their grasp. I didn't care how hard it was going to be. I was working 4 jobs (two of them were for no monetary compensation) and going to graduate school. ...It all just kind of hit me. I do value life, my own life...when for so long I was convinced that I didn't have any worth. If that's true than how in hell have I made it this far? Sometimes in those quiet solitary moments, just before you're greeted with sleep, you have a great awakening. A beautiful experience of strength and resilience. I am strong. Maybe I am a survivor...

2 comments:

  1. Just saw a quote on tumblr that seems to apply: "Learning is a gift. Even when pain is your teacher." : ) Growth is always difficult, and the process in itself... is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely quote, I like it very much. It takes a while to figure it out...now it's time to make it stick. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete